Happy Friday, everyone! What better way to end the week than by giving you homework to do over the weekend?
Let’s jump right in!
* Get all of your ducks in a row. Make sure that your name/site is registered/copyrighted/trademarked, claim your name on all social media outlets, register variants of your URL (.net, .co.uk, etc.) and spelling variants of your site.
* Find out what you need to do to get a business license and set up an Employer ID Number (EIN).
* Use descriptive words when naming your images.
* Make sure your post titles include descriptive keywords for SEO.
* Back up your blog regularly.
* Create consistent content (the way that it looks, when it is posted, etc.)
* Publishing new content first thing in the morning is a good practice.
Image by Justin Hackworth
* Create a yearly editorial calendar with broad themes and a more detailed monthly editorial calendar to outline your daily posts.
* Reach out to sponsors that fit with your brand and check out IAB.net/displayguidelines for standard ad sizes.
* Make sure that you’re citing the approporiate sources for any non-original images or content in your blog posts. For example, if you learned about some cool thing on Blog A and Blog A listed the primary source of this cool original content as Blog B, then you can cite “Blog B via Blog A” as your sources for the awesome thing that you absolutely had to reblog.
Are you reeling from all of the information? And these were just some of the highlights that I jotted down. I didn’t bother to include the mantra that was part of every session, so each time you read one of these Lessons from Alt posts, be sure to tell yourself this: “Create awesome original content.”
Hey, look. It’s me, right before this very session started, with my favorite stylist Emily Henderson, Helena of Bye Bye, Bitters, and Bradford (aka, Mr. Uncle Beefy Himself!) of The Bedlam of Beefy. Good times!
Image by HGTV Managing Editor Lili Zarghami
One last thing and I’ll shut up until Monday. I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all of the people who included me in their Alt Summit wrap-ups and posts. It’s nice to have your work or style or whatever appreciated, and it really means a lot to me. Thank you so much Sarah Bryden-Brown, Kirtsy, Camille Styles, She Paperie, Apartment Therapy, and Bye, Bye Bitters!