This was the last panel that I attended at Alt Summit, and it was awesome. Camille Styles, Cassandra LaValle, Jasmine Star, and Hunter Sebresos provided inspired tips on building a personal brand. Here are some of the key points.
* Establish yourself as the expert.
* Write a brand statement. For example, Camille’s is creative parties :: inspired entertaining.
* Be thoughtful with the details on your blog - social media buttons, headshot, etc. Everything should fit together with your brand.
* Be authentic. Does your audience know who you are and what you stand for? Try this exercise. List three words that describe who you are. Not your business, YOU. Not who you aspire to be, but who you ARE. These words can become a barometer of your authenticity when putting together your posts. Are you being you? Make people feel something about you. Showcase WHO you are, not what you do. “Nobody’s as good as being you as you.” - Jasmine Star
* See above for tips on creating your About Me page. Why do you do what you do? Tell your story from the heart.
* Spend some time thinking about your mission for your blog. What do you want to accomplish? Then think about your vision. What does it look like to succeed?
* What is your blog’s personality? Think of it as a great party and readers are your guests. There is give and take in the conversation.
* What words do you want people to use when describing you and your brand? Decide how you want to position yourself and develop your elevator pitch. Shorten and perfect it.
* Be creative with your Twitter and Facebook posts.
* Everything on your blog impacts your brand. Your headshot conveys your brand statement. Your sponsors are a reflection of your brand. Are your sponsors in line with your aesthetic, ethics, goals, editorial content, etc.? The right sponsors can add value and grow your personal brand.
* Are you taking new directions with your blog or brand? Write about them and let your readers take part in your journey.
* Video is the future. Consider incorporating video into your blog.
* I wrote this note, circled it, and put an asterisk beside it: I love Jasmine Star.